The Society of Future Physicians is an undergraduate Honors College affiliated student organization at The University of Illinois at Chicago dedicated to informing our members about all there is to being a pre-medical student. We empower our members with information regarding: medical school matriculation, divisions and specialties, and current topics in the medical field. We also provide: extra-curricular enrichment, volunteering opportunities, leadership positions, and community involvement opportunities.
What does SFP do for you?
The Society of Future Physicians provides you with a myriad of extra-curricular opportunities to grow as a pre-med student. While the following is not an exhaustive list of benefits, it does outline the key rewarding features of our organization:
- Clinical Exposure – We have a whole committee dedicated to finding hospital volunteering and shadowing opportunities. Also, many of our affiliated surgeons allow us to spend the day with them in the operating room. This is a great opportunity to build relationships with established physicians.
- Mentorship – Sometimes college can feel a little daunting and you may not know the best path, we provide a mentorship system that will match you with an upperclassman with whom you may discuss your current academics and ask questions about college life.
- Lectures and Panels – Physicians of different specialties come and speak to us regarding current events in medicine – this will help you get an idea of what you might want to specialize in once you graduate medical school. We also organize lectures in a panel format for a more informal setting.
- MCAT Practice Tests – our affiliates at Kaplan Test Prep offer practice MCATs for free at various times during the school year. Also, SFP members are guaranteed a discount off the price of the MCAT Practice courses.
- Social Events – Get to know your fellow members and colleagues by getting involved with our social events. These are informal get-togethers where snack and drinks are served. Who knows, you could find a few friends and mentors within the organization.
- Medical School Tours – We tour the UIC Medical School as well as other medical schools in Chicago.
- Community Involvement – We have a committee dedicated to getting our members involved in the community. Participating in such events, allows you to gain experience in meeting those whom you might one day serve.
The organization accepts applications for both semesters. As of now, applications will not reopen until Winter 2017 for the Spring semester. Please check back soon! However, a bit of information regarding membership: everyone and anyone who is considering a career as a physician regardless of major and/or intended aspirations in medicine is welcome to join. We have a diverse group of members from many majors and academic backgrounds, all bonded by the love of medicine. While we are an Honors College affiliated organization, we do not have a co-requisite of honors college membership. However, we do require that our members maintain a 3.4 GPA and are suggested to apply to the Honors College the following semester.